Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Peace of Mind


“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” ~Philippians 4:4-8

A habit that I've picked up the last few years is giving God credit for who He is, especially when I am worrying over something. I've learned that once I start to focus off my circumstances, and start to focus on who God is, peace comes in an instant (honestly in an instant). I may struggle back and forth with the gut feeling of anxiety throughout the day, but my mind and heart are drawn back to who Lord is.

One thing I like to do especially at times where I feel anxious about something is turn to the last few chapters in the Psalms. Chapters 103 and 146-150 are just examples, but they are ones that make the point that God is ultimately in control, and isn't that why we are struggling with anxiety? That is, when we doubt God's control in our lives. To think that he unknowingly allowed one painful thing to be in our lives, at least I know that's what I instinctively tend to believe. However, I know better now, and I want to share this thought with you for times you maybe struggling-- nothing is out of God's control or hands. He has allowed everything in our lives for one reason or another. That's why we are to seek after Him and not waste time dwelling on the bad parts of our lives. This is why Philippians 4:4-8 talks about keeping a mindset on the Lord and all the wonderful things he has given and done for us.

I'll admit this morning I woke up stressed over something in my life. My mind went to this verse and I thanked the Lord for all that he has done in my life, as well as the doors he opened for me this week, which one was the very thing that I was worrying about. Now looking at my week, I'm not so stressed out anymore. In fact, I have peace. Today, whether or not you are worrying over something in your life, do you recognize God's sovereignty? To be able to say you believe that everything is under His control. Let him be praised whether or not you are in a good spot in your life. In doing so, you have already have made up your mind what kind of attitude you'll have towards anything in life, as well as giving God the credit and love he so deserves from us.




No comments:

Post a Comment