Monday, July 2, 2012

In Memory Of My Mother's Mom

I love my grandma; my mother's mom. She was such a warm spirit to be around. I can remember the days my family went to visit her at the house my mom grew up in. It was a small house for the nine kids my grandma had, but by having so many, everyone left shortly after high school. My mom was the youngest of the nine kids, and she has some humble memories in that house. Her mom worked all day to provide for her family after her husband died from a drunk driver when my mom was only four years of age. Knowing what I know of her, I'm guessing that most of her time was probably most spent at three places-- work, home, or church.

Grandma was a wonderful Christian lady. After her death, I was able to read a poem by her that clearly stated where her heart was placed her whole life. It wasn't here on earth, but on heaven above. Her home away from home, and now she is there with her king! I am so thankful to have gotten to know her. To be able to spend time with her as little as I did. I was young when she passed, but I have so many wonderful memories. Memories of her amazing sweet tea, her witty sense of humor, her quiet spirit, and her gentle presence. Her faith shaped her, and over the years, even after her death, I wondered about everything she was. I have a fascination with people from the past because most of them had such grace and elegance. I guess that is what my grandma had. She was dignified, yet she was not stuck up. She would be willing to help anyone in need. She was a lady for God, and if you knew her, you saw that in her kind ways.

My grandma passed before she was able to see me and my sister accept Christ as our savior, but I ask God to let her know. I know it was a great burden on her heart to know some of her own children hadn't accepted the Lord, or even had walked away from the faith. She shared many talks with my aunt who told me all of this. My grandma had such a heart for the Lord and we now praise the Lord that she is with him now. Free from pain, and suffering. All of the corruption in this world. She is at peace with her Lord.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute. I have a lump in my throat from reading it. Thank you for the encouragement you have given me over the past few months with your blogs. Someday there will surely be a similar tribute to you. I too hope the Lord lets Mom know that there has been some of her family saved since she went home.

    ReplyDelete