Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Am Not Going To Complain

"Do everything without complaining or arguing..." ~ Philippians 2:14

I am not going to complain. That is the last thing I need to do when anything circles around in my life that I don't want there. The MacArthur Bible Study says, "The Greek word for "complaining" is a term that actually sounds like what it means. Its pronunciation is much like muttering or grumbling in a low tone of a voice. It is an emotional rejection of God's providence, will, and circumstances for one's life. The word for "disputing" is more intellectual and here means "questionings," or "criticisms" directed toward God."

Complaining is a bitter heart shown through words out of a person's mouth. Jesus said, "But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person." (Matthew 15:18)

I have a reason or two to complain right now. In fact, I know I have complained, but I need to stop. I may not like the circumstances in my life or what has happened, but God has allowed them for a reason. Listen, whenever we encounter problems in life, we ought to see them as something God can use to grow us, bless us, or teach us. I know life gets hard, really hard. So hard you wish you wouldn't be compared to a child if you threw a hissy fit, but life is not all it seems.

2 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." This should instead be our attitude amongst problems in life. Not to complain, but to see what there is to appreciate in the pain. Am I to find appreciation in getting hurt at work? Sure. Or someone betraying me. Sure. See in the Christian mind, we are to simply look at God, and be able to know who he is. He is God. Peace is found in him. Hope, too. He is looking out for us, so why gather discontentment, resentment, bitterness, or anger in our hearts when he is in control?

What do you complain about in life? Is it something out of your control? Or can you actually speak up to overcome?

Listen, it is not wrong to say something when injustice or anything bad happens. Right now I am in a sticky situation, and instead of complaining, where I can bash anyone involved or throw cruel words around, I am speaking up to see what I can do to better the situation. There is nothing wrong with that as long as it's not against what God teaches. That is, it would be wrong for me to be cruel, hate, or speak out of bitterness. Instead I should give thanks to God for what he has and will do through this situation, and see what he does. I shouldn't complain, especially when he has my best interest at heart.

If you are facing anything today that you can pound the pavement for or throw cruel remarks around, don't. That is time wasted on an emotion (of bitterness) that God didn't intend humans to carry. 1 Peter 5:7 says, "casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." All your cares throw to him. He will help you see the good amongst the chaos we want to complain about.

"He will not fear evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD." ~ Psalm 112:7



No comments:

Post a Comment