Sunday, May 20, 2012

Do Not Be Anxious

I keep thinking to myself I do not have enough time in a day to do the things I need to be doing these past few weeks. I actually had to get a notebook to keep my schedule straight because I have been jumping from work to church to home, trying to accomplish varioust tasks. Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the productiveness, it's just a little stressful when times I need to be at work or at home to help seem to overlap. Thankfully I was reminded of this truth on my way home from church today. Something that the Holy Spirit seems place on my heart a lot. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phillippians 4:6-7)

Do not be anxious about anything. But pray to God, and he will give us peace. How is that? Well, Jesus once said, "...your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." I appreciate the fact that no matter how short of time I think I have to do my list of "to-dos," God already knows what I really need to do. I may have to say "no" to a few things I want to do (not need to do), but it is possible to do what he will have me to do. And if it happens to take up my day from 7 am to 11pm, so be it! I was reminded yesterday about the Apostle Paul's life after Christ. He went for days without sleeping, eating, being hunted like an animal, and other trials as well. Check out 2 Corinthians 11:16-33 for the whole story told by Paul himself. You'll find him boasting about it all, which surely means he was glad how his life turned out, even if it meant serving Christ in the most extreme circumstances. Short story short from all this, if Paul lived his life serving the Lord, and his life was chaotic as that, then my life as it now surely can be as chaotic as that. Yet I can find peace just as Paul did. As long as I am doing God's will, I shouldn't be worrying about anything.


Next time you are feeling worried or anxious about anything, whether or not it be about your time shortage like mine, be thankful that God has given us what we need. Pour your heart out to him (Psalm 62:8), seek him in his Word (Matt.6:33; 7:7), and let him give you what you really need in a day to do his good and perfect will for you that glorifies him (Jeremiah 29:11-13; Phillippians 4:6-7). We just might be surprised to find there is perfect peace in our chaotic lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment