Thursday, June 7, 2012

Christ's Humility

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. ~ Phillipians 2:3-11

Have you ever noticed after Jesus would do a miracle or said words that drew a crowd, how many time he gave the due credit to God for being able to minister? I really don't know how many times he did this, but from just reading Matthew 4-8, he has done it over 10 times, including giving the sermon the mount, healing the sick, and being tempted. Notice in the first part of chapter 4, Satan uses Jesus' divine heritage against him to tempt him. Everytime he goes in to get Jesus to sin, he reminds him that afterall, he is "the son of God." Of course he would have the power to change stones into bread or have power over a earthly kingdom. Yet Jesus stuck to his father's will. That is, in humility he stuck to the truth of who God is, and using that to fight any pride or selfish ambition to his name or ministry.


I don't know about you, but it's a privilege to be the "Christian" anywhere I go. Maybe because it is rare to come by, so you kind of stand out more. Still I do find myself fighting back pride from that status, and instead incline to carry my cross that has been set before me, humbling surrendering myself to God for whatever he may have for me to do. I may have to do things differently, dress differently, act differently, be friends with different people in order to be obedient to God; not for my pride to be fulfilled. The idea of going into ministry later on life I can tell may make it harder, but it's something I am excited for. To be able to proclaim God's truth, and have that status as a Jesus freak because I chose a career in ministry. Anyway, the way I present myself as a follower of Christ, has to be like Jesus who continually reminded others to first seek the kingdom of God, who is the one he worked through to do and say the words he did. Whether I am a Christian going into ministry for a career, or just a Christian with different type of job, I am in ministry. Therefore, I need a humble heart.

Look at Matthew 8:1-4. Jesus had cured a man of leprosy presumably in front of a large crowd that had followed him over a mountainside. Before the man could exclaim what this man Jesus had done, Jesus pled with him to,"See that you say nothing to anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a proof to them.” In other words, Christ in humility asked the man to give honor to his father in heaven for this, not Jesus himself, who was a mere man. The son of God, yes, but simply still a man in the flesh.

Today, I think we should remember that any good deed we do and any encouraging word we say should reflect our father in heaven. Not for us to look good, but to give him glory. Being that "Christian girl" I think people know why I say the things I say and the things I do, but it never hurts to humble myself, as well, when I acknowledge who I live for. In doing so, we proclaimed the truth of God, deny our pride, and altogether glorify God in the reflection of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment