Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Detour

Life is not easy. I bet you knew that. I bet you also knew it was not mildly uncomfortable either, but it was hard. There are setbacks, detours, failures, sins, and other things that will prohibit us from being able to do what we may have dreamed of. I don't think any of us can claim to have a conventional life. Our lives are so abstract and complex to say that it fits in one perfect frame. Sure we can go to college, get married, have a family, and live happily ever after, but what about the loss of jobs, loss of loved ones, getting sick, and failings we experience? We all have stories to share of unconventional, unplanned lives we have lived. But who's to say God doesn't use our contorted lives for his glory when we fully surrender to him?

Whether it be through circumstances or sins that have put us on a "detour," as you might call it, God can use us wherever we are. I'm starting to realize God doesn't necessarily give us a mapped out picture of what we will have in the future. He's not going to tell me I will go to college, wait two years afterwards to get married, then have a family in five years... Instead, he works by simply telling us this: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (check out Matthew 6:25-34). The reason I believe God tells us not to think about tomorrow, or at least set plans in stone is because when we prioritize our time in that long width of time, we are going to ignore opportunities God may have for us or we may even miss them altogether because we are either too busy with "our" plans instead of his, or we are too scared to fail. For me, I tend o be afraid of failing. I ignore some actions needed to be taken in the past, and now I'm kind of paying for them. Does that mean God isn't going to use me right now where I am in life? In my refusal to be obedient to him, no. In surrendering to him, yes. So this is why I should have the = mindset like this:

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" (Colossians 3:2)

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33)

When we focus one day at a time, like Jesus is preaching in Matthew 6:25-34, we are going to be at peace, not anxious, when we have detours in life. Here's why. When we fill our planner with very important events throughout our week, only to come to realization we cannot get to everyone of them, how do we feel? Anxious right? Upset? That is not to say we cannot make plans. In fact Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans." So what is the difference? What does this look like? Well we can still fill the planner with plans, but what we have to think about is do our plans glorify God? If so, do them for his glory, seeking first his kingdom in doing it. When we have a mindset for his glory, we will see a transformation of some sorts in us. We give ourselves up and carry the cross. We look to God Almighty for guidance and leadership. How is that not wise and exciting?

Overall, the point I want to share that I have discovered in my own life is not to be afraid of what the Lord has established ahead of time us. I fear messing up in my life, but by simply living one day at a time, I have seen worries flee and peace come. I may not be where I want to be in life, but there is peace still in the chaos in it. And this is all because of our God telling us, "Fear not" as he has countless times told his people throughout the beginning of time.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment