Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Friend And A Bridegroom

"To this John replied, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven.You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less.” ~ John 3:27-30

In this passage, John the Baptist is being asked by people, who have heard about the ministry of Jesus, and are curious to know who he really is. John gives a straightforward, "That joy is mine and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less."

John compares himself to the friend who attends the bridegroom; the bridegroom being Jesus. It is the friend's joy to help the bridegroom get ready for the banquet. In this case John helped set Jesus' ministry. The friend does this for the benefit and ultimate glory of the bridegroom; not his own benefit or glory. So is this with John the Baptist who preached about Jesus up until Jesus took up his full ministry, and John was martyred. In this passage, John's words illustrate not just how we are to have a mindset as believers in Jesus Christ, but how we are to measure the depth of our priorities in life.

Has Christ become more than me? Is his image seen in me more than my old self?

These questions come to my mind when I think about him needing to become greater, and me to become less.

Will others notice the good in you that so clearly illustrates Christ has become greater in your life than your own self?

Take heart. When someone does notice of things that can only be from him, it means you have taken up the powerful words of John the Baptist in your life. Words that should shape our attitude in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment