Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Commission Verse

"It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation.  Rather, as it is written: 'Those who were not told about him will see, and those who have not heard will understand.' This is why I have often been hindered from coming to you." Romans 15:20-22 


The passage above is from the Apostle Paul who preached the good news of salvation. What I find encouraging in this verse is him citing Scripture for why he preaches to non-Christians about Christ. He says he does it to fulfill what is written in Scripture. That is, for others who have not heard the news of salvation. Notice it was his ambition to do such a thing. To be willing to travel around and proclaim the good news of the man who conquered death. Paul was a man on fire for Christ. And in this Romans' passage, I would like to recognize something that I have found myself doing. That is, having a goal in life based on Scripture. Let's each call it the "My Commission" verse.

The verse coming last after you examine what you are passionate about, whom you are passionate about, and where you would love to minister. I am not saying that going to the tropics to minister to  cute guys (or gals) with a tan is going to be God's plan, but what I am saying is what truly ignites a fire in you. The passion being like the fire you get when you see injustice in the world or the warmth you get when you see an act of kindness. Those type of things are kind of a window of what I am talking about here.

So my commission's verse is actually two verses, that coincide. (Actually three if you consider Isaiah 61, as a whole)

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

"Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work." ~ 2 Timothy 2:21
I don't know what it is, but whenever I read these verses, I get both happy and exited. To be used to share the message of Jesus, whether it be through writing or talking to somebody, it is in fact thrilling for me. You can say it is my ambition in life, just as the Apostle Paul said his ambition was to proclaim the gospel to the unsaved. I imagine the Apostle Paul being both happy and excited, as well, when he recited the passage of Scripture that he was fulfilling; having it as a reminder for what he lived for. I think it's a good idea to perhaps have that verse in the back of our mind of what God wants to use us for. I can remember the day that I read 2 Timothy 2:21, and could hear the Lord speak to my heart about ministry. If I would just listen, obey, and be like him, he said he would use me for a good things. And even though I am not technically in ministry, at least in a career, I am being used already for what I would be doing with a degree. That is how God works. It's not about how much I know, but what he can do with me for the time being until maybe I grow or know more to be used in different areas in this life.

Today, I give you a challenge. Pray for a verse. I think it would be something that we can look at, and be reminded that we have a purpose to be living for. We have a God to be serving in our daily lives, not just praise on Sunday mornings. Let's see what he can do, and will do, when we focus on him and keep his word near and dear to our hearts. He will use us for great things, for sure. Perhaps you can examine the gifts and passions you have now, and ask God how he can use that to minister. Friend, if you are a Christian, you are to minister in some way shape or form. So never feel like you have a small role compared to a deacon or a pastor. We all make up the body of Christ.

So tonight after you are done reading this, will you at least have a mindset of "what is my commission?" If you don't, pray to God for gudiance. He will be glad to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment