Thursday, December 27, 2012

Joy In The Morning

 
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him." Psalm 126:5-6

"Stop trying to be strong; admit you need help."

I went through a period in my life where all I wanted to do was cry. I sat in my room numb to all that was going on around me. I was more anxious than anything. One night I got down from my bed and got down onto my knees.

"Lord, why do they have to treat me this way? Why did you let this happen?" I prayed.

I could not understand the circumstances, nor hear God audibly. I just felt a peace come over me as I continued to pray and burst into tears. It was like a whisper in my soul that said, "being strong is not about keeping from breaking down. It's about being weak so Christ can be strong."

So often times I think people try to be strong amongst pain, while still denying the pain that still exists. It's okay to mourn when life is tough. When a friend stops speaking to you. When a family member hurts you. Or when you are just scared of what life might bring next.  Remember David's words in Psalm 42:5-6a:

Why am I discouraged?
    Why is my heart so sad

 I will put my hope in God!
    I will praise him again—
    my Savior and my God!

This has been the place of my heart, as I know for some of you reading. Your heart grieves and all you want to do is pour our your concerns to God, yet silence is sometimes the most comfortable thing to do. Even emotions do not appear from out of you. Sometimes it's apathy for the world around you. Your emotionless self seems damaging and you cannot figure out why until you pray about or recollect on the concerns you have for the things in your life. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

I admit to being in tears on my knees and head down flat on the ground. Even rolling over to the side when I just needed to just cry. Pain comes, but it needs to be dealt with the Lord. Only he is going to carry our burdens (Matthew 11:30). Only he is going to make us strong (2 Corinthians 12:9). It's like we have to break down first, physically or emotionally, before we can recognize our weakness and our need for the Lord's strength in our lives.


Today, let him be your strength. Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," but what does that really mean? It means being weak and recognizing the only possibility of strength is through Christ. This may require the breaking down in tears, but remember in the morning, our joy will return.

 
"...weeping may stay for the night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5

Go to the Lord and trust in him.


Verses to Ponder

I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me. Psalm 57:2

But I will call on God, and the LORD will rescue me. Psalm 55:16

No comments:

Post a Comment