Saturday, August 17, 2013

Examine Your Heart

Just recently, I have been hit with the reality of the grown up choices we have to make everyday. And to be honest, they are tough, not fun, and stressful. Needless to say, I have needed to rely heavily on the Lord for answers and guadiance on my life since I could remember. I think you can say that I have become more serious in praying and getting into the Word for answers for my life. This is one thing I have found that I would like to share.

"I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart." ~ Psalm 40:8

With the choices I have needed to make, I have realized a great fault in me that I think prohibits me in a lot of areas in my life. That is fear. Fear of the unknown and conviences of life. I wonder if I was just imagining it or I could sneak my way out it without even really needing to make some serious choices in my life, but now I have decided that the Lord is telling me to stop fearing and starting moving. This period of my life has made me re-examine my heart. How full is it for the love of God? David once wrote, "I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart." How convicting to see a believer rejoicing in his Lord and perhaps not recognize that same joy and appreciation in my own heart?

So I ask myself, "What kind of Christian am I?" What do everyday actions say about me? What do my words say about me? Do they give testimony of my Lord Jesus Christ? Sometimes I don't think do; in fact, I know they do not. How terrible is it that I do not do the things that please God? That show him I love him? Because I know if I really did, I would not sin. And I do that everyday. Needless to say, I have learned this truth, too, from getting into the Word.

"But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!" ~ Ephesians 2:4-5

God is "so rich in mercy." Even before I became a believer, I was a sinner, and afterwards I still do sin. But in God's eyes, I am alive because "he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead." By his grace we are saved. Hallejuah! He has yet to let go of us as believers, even when we are in a rough patch or just feeling bare. If we truly believe there is life in Jesus, and none outside of him, we are saved no matter what. All we have to do now, as I am learning, is take one day at a time, being obedient in the ways that are expressed through our heart, soul, mind, and strength. Doing so, we express love for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment